Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Do You Hear What I Hear--AGAIN?

I used to believe that there was no such thing as too much Christmas music. Now I'm not so sure. There is definitely too much of some Christmas music. A peculiar mathematical ratio comes into play on retail store holiday music tracks. The more insipid the song, the more often it loops in the mix. That means that in the time it takes to pick up a roll of paper towels, a new toothbrush, and a box of Bounce sheets Do You Hear What I Hear? will have played twice, the reindeer will have run over Grandma, and you’ll want to shove Frosty the Snowman into a tanning bed and slam the lid shut.

But those lame songs aren't even the worst. The reigning terror of the Yuletide air waves? O Holy Night. Every breathy-voiced pop-star and nasal-twangy country diva and wailing R&B singer has his or her own heinous hatchet job version of that poor tune.  It's OK, O Holy Night has probably saved me a lot of money over the years. As soon as I hear the first violins swell I flee the store before the piped in Christmas soundtrack pushes me over the edge and I throw up in a fuzzy Santa hat or stick a thumb tack in a Sponge Bob lawn inflatable 

I'm not as big a Scrooge as I sound. In fact, I adore the holidays. I love everything about this most wonderful time of the year. So, you'd better watch out because it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas and I'm a certifiable Yule-a-holic. I deck the halls and haul out the holly and roast the chestnuts on an open fire just so I can have myself a merry little Christmas. And when silent night falls I go to sleep counting my blessings. On the midnight clear you'll find me dreaming of a white Christmas. Well, actually I don't yearn for winter weather. But let it snow, I'll just dream of the little town of Bethlehem and the wise men who came from far, far away. In a manger on that first Noel the shepherds found the baby Jesus. A new star shone and angels sang with joy. To the world it is just a fanciful story, but to me it represents every hope, all love, the promise of peace. I want to go tell it on the mountain and sing with the angels "Glory to God in highest. Peace on earth, good will to men."

Somebody stop me . . . it seems my brain is fully saturated with Yuletide songs. They're taking over the planet . . . and my post. Major award to anyone who can identify at least twenty lines from or titles of Christmas songs in the paragraph above. What low-budget Christmas ditty makes you cringe or stands your hair on end before you can change the radio station? And what's your favorite Christmas music?

9 comments:

  1. I only found 17. Shucks. I really wanted that leg lamp too. LITTLE DRUMMER BOY! It's played every couple songs. No, no, no. Only decent versions of it? Take 6 and Charlie Brown Christmas. Do they ever play either of those? Of course not. It's hard to pick favorite Christmas music because there's so much I love. It would definitely include the Messiah, Take 6, Manhattan Transfer, Beach Boys, Andrews Sisters, Nancy LaMott... Like I said, too many I love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't go wrong with the MoTab. And Frank Sinatra. I'm writing about them today. My husband can't stand the King's Singers (privately he calls them The Eunuchs) - but I like them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reminded in particular of this rendition of "O Holy Night": http://www.thesneeze.com/mt-archives/000570.php

    ReplyDelete
  4. A.--Richard rocks--that totally sounds like something Briant would say. I love the Eunuchs, though. Chanticleer too . . . same idea. Frankie is a class act all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wyatt! What WAS that?! hee hee hee, your link made my day. Do you think the guy was serious? Thanks for the Christmas gift. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hilarious. Your post and Wyatt's link.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I followed Amanda's link to your page. Great post! My favorite Christmas music is "Carols from Trinity" directed by Richard Marlow. Merry Christmas, Jerie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a different viewpoint on this one...I'd SO much rather hear any Christmas carol than what I usually hear in public places. At one point I emailed a chain store because some of the music playing over the loudspeakers had profanity.
    I'm usually very bothered by repetitious anything, but somehow carols don't strike my brain the same way as the rest of life. I especially love "O Holy Night", sung reverently, and never tire of it.
    Renditions of "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" and other raucous tunes, DO make me change the station!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooops...have to admit I love the funny Voice Male renditions. I'm not all seriousness, really! (And if I heard them over and over, maybe I'd enjoy them less.)

    ReplyDelete