Monday, December 13, 2010

Christ In Your Thoughts and a Dime In Your Shoe

A quote from Henry David Thoreau hangs on the wall next to my bed, where hopefully I see it every day. It consists of one word repeated three times. "Simplify. Simplify. Simplify." I resonate to Thoreau's unembellished advice for laying hold on life's goodness. But this time of year presents a challenge to even the most simplification-converted soul. I have to remind myself to keep room for Christ in my Christmas--lots of room.

My heart longs to throw the door wide so He knows to come right in, no need to knock. I hope He will find us at home. Please, don't let us miss Him in favor of the demands of an over-crammed calendar. Will He find a place to stay and visit with us ? Maybe we should clear the counter of goodie plates and focus instead on good will to men, worry less about the decorative mantle piece and more about peace on earth. Is there room amid the baubles and bright lights for the Light of the World? How can I remind myself of the simplicity of the angel's good tidings of great joy? My nineteen-year-old son provided an answer to that question. He is serving as a missionary in Argentina and will spend his Christmas far away from home and traditions--but closer, I think, to the pure purposes and import of this holy season. Can I share a bit of one of his recent letters? His simple suggestion has transformed my holidays:

"I want to share with you all something that changed my week. Something special. Last Monday, our District leader challenged us all to put a small coin in our shoe for the course of the week and as we walked every day, every time we felt it, we were to remind ourselves of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. How it helps us. How it helps everyone. I can´t quite explain how special of a week this became. When you think about Christ and His Atonement every few minutes of your day, things change. Every step I took, I was reminded of my Savior, what He did for me, what He suffered for me, and how grateful I am to Him. And so I challenge each of you to do the same. Stick a dime in your shoe this week. Everytime you feel it there in your shoe, slightly uncomfortable as it may be, think about our Redeemer´s Atonement in your life. In addition, think of one thing your grateful for and why. That´s a secret I´m learning. The secret to a happy day is to have a grateful heart. Focus on what we have rather than what we might lack. And when we walk, thinking of Christ every step of our day, we will feel Him closer, walking along beside us, His hand on our shoulder. I challenge you all to do this this week. Walk with Christ in your thoughts and a dime in your shoe. I promise you that you will see and feel a difference in your week. So I hope you do it. And I would love to hear back from anybody who does it and the experience they had."

So, I will keep a dime in my shoe from now until Christmas. And I will keep Christ in my heart, at the heart of my celebrations, as the heart of my home. Join me if you yearn for things simple and sacred this Christmas. For a mere dime we can invite the Savior in. I believe the words of the old traditional carol: "No ear may hear His coming, but in this world of sin; where meek souls will receive Him still, the dear Christ enters in."

What do you find helps you stay focused on the true meaning of Christmas? Share already . . .

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea. I'm trying it. Music keeps me centered the most... how can one forget the miracle of Christ's coming with the MoTab bell choir ringing and gonging full speed ahead? Music grounds me in the full range of emotion of the season: awe, reverence, gratitude, joy... Christmas music speaks to the season in a way that nothing else really can. That and Lizzy's scratch n sniff picture book. Obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a beautiful idea! What has kept me grounded as been a deep seated worry that my children understand. They are old enough to understand what Christmas is. My oldest gets so excited for the Christmas tree and for Santa. But I've thought of nothing else but wanting to teach him the TRUTH. Christmas isn't about Santa. So, even though he is only three and his brothers are only 2 years and 4 months, I talk to them, incessantly, about why we celebrate Christmas. And yes, I'm telling them already that Santa isn't real, he's just a fun thing to pretend. We are spending the twelve days before Christmas reading the chapters of the Christmas story in the children's versions of the New Testament and the Book of Mormon. I've just felt constantly prompted to keep bringing it up, to keep reminding him that Santa isn't real but that Christ is.

    ReplyDelete