Friday, July 23, 2010

Masterpiece

I drove my beautiful mother to San Francisco this morning. Today is Mom's birthday--82 years. Her birthday wish included a visit to the Impressionist exhibit at the De Young museum and lunch at Scoma's on the wharf. Perfect.

We moved slowly through the exhibit, utterly captivated. I stood in front of one masterpiece after another. Manet, Renoir, Sisley, Degas, Monet, Cezanne. The art glowed--brilliant, timeless. In spite of the acclaimed paintings on every wall, my eyes returned again and again to one extraordinary work of art. My mother. She glowed, light rippling from her. One word burned in my mind as I watched her from a distance. Masterpiece.

82 years of well-chosen brushstrokes applied patiently and with purpose have rendered her brilliant, timeless. The pallet that colors her life is love. Love of God, love of family, love of fellow man, love of anything "virtuous, lovely, of good report, or praiseworthy." Love of life.

Happy Birthday, Mom. I'm glad you were born. Your birth, in truth, was the genesis of my life as well. Art and artist, you have made me. Thank you for wanting me, for applying your artistry to the rough canvas of my soul.

I drove to San Francisco this morning to look at great works of art. The true masterpiece sat next to me in the passenger seat. Pardon me if I stare.

8 comments:

  1. Amen to that beautiful tribute. Your mom is such a special lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a nice post, Sister Jacobs!!!! You are following right in her footsteps :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful tribute to your wonderful mother. I'm sure you don't know this, but I grew up listening to my mother tell me how when she was a new mom she listened to your mom recount an incident where your mom stopped during a walk and let your brother just watch things like bugs on the ground. My mom was so impressed by that account (and the magical way your mom told it) that my mom decided that was how she wanted to parent her own children. In a tangential way, your wonderful mother made my life richer and more beautiful by influencing my own mother's parenting. I will always be grateful to your mom for that. And thank you for sharing this tribute so I could remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful day and a wonderful outing. Wish I could have been there too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing these wonderful thoughts about your mother. Moms are amazing people!! I miss mine everyday. Your mom taught me so much as I grew up. I was fortunate to be a little chick under her wing during my MIA days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those were good times--mom loved nothing more than working with the teenagers! Being part of a ward family is such a blessing. We all have dozens of "moms" to learn from and follow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. we love that masterpiece...especially all the wonderful testimony meetings at the Reunions.

    ReplyDelete